Call for ACSP Student Governing Board Representative (Term: 2020 - 2022)
The Association of Collegiate Schools of Planning (ACSP) invites students from member institutions to apply for the position of Student Representative on the ACSP Governing Board for the term of Spring 2020 to Spring 2022. Being a student representative is a great way to represent your fellow students while learning about the world of planning academicians.
The role of the Student Representatives is to ensure that the concerns of students are reflected in the discussions and decisions of the ACSP Governing Board. Two Student Representatives serve alternating, two-year terms. In order to be eligible, students must be enrolled in an ACSP member planning program as a doctoral student for the entire length of their term. A committee composed of the ACSP President and the current student representatives selects the candidate(s) and the President appoints the new student representative.
- Represent the interests of doctoral, masters and undergraduate-level planning students and advocate on their behalf
- Attend two Governing Board meetings and participate in the discussions and vote on issues
- Maintain outward communications from the ACSP to the student body via the Bowling League email list
- Mobilize resources for students and work on their issues of concern
- Organize the Student Reception at the Annual Conference
- Organize two Job Market workshops at the Annual Conference
- Invite students and faculty to participate in the Graduate Student Clinic Booth at the annual conference
- Work with the ACSP staff to update the ACSP student web pages as necessary
- Connect with other student international planning organizations
- Publish the annual ACSP Student Bulletin prior to the annual conference
- Be committed to understanding the dynamics of urban and regional development, enhancing planning practices, and improving the education of both novice and experienced planners.
- Funding to attend two ACSP Governing Board meetings per year
- Networking with leaders in the planning academy
- Collaborating with students around the world
- Developing a better understanding of the challenges/opportunities facing the academy
- Signaling to the field that you are committed to professional service
Governing Board Attendance and Reimbursement Policy
Student representatives are expected to attend two ACSP Governing Board meetings each year, spring and fall. The spring meeting dates vary, but the fall Governing Board meeting is always held the day before the ACSP Annual Conference (2019 Greenville, SC; 2020 Toronto, Ontario).
For both meetings combined each year, ACSP reimburses each of the Student Reps up to the total amount of $2,500 per year for itemized travel expenses. Expenses that are reimbursable include: two nights lodging including all related taxes, food, airfare, mileage, airport shuttle or cab fare for the spring; and the same for the fall but with possible five nights lodging because of the length of stay required for the Student Reps’ responsibilities during the conference. Personal expenses such as telephone calls, Internet access or other personal items are not reimbursable expenses. ACSP provides breakfast and lunch during the board meetings.
ACSP does not reimburse the Student Reps for the cost of registration for the annual conference because it is expected that they will be attending/presenting their work at the conference as active students of planning.
School Support Policy
Applicants must secure the consent of your department chair in the form of a letter of support on university letterhead.
An official call for nominees for Student Reps will be shared via email and the ACSP Planning News after the conference. The selection and confirmation will be made in January or early February with the first board meeting scheduled for March 14 in Minneapolis.
- Statement of interest (2 pages max.) stating why you should be selected as the student representative and what you would like to achieve and bring to the ACSP Governing Board as a student representative.
- Resume or CV (2 pages max), highlighting any student leadership experience. Please include your expected graduation date.
- Letter of support from department chair (see School Support Policy above).
Deadline for Submission - EXTENDED to February 11, 2020
Send your application materials as a single PDF attachment in one email, no later than 12:00 midnight EST, February 11, 2020 to firstname.lastname@example.org with “ACSP STUDENT REP 2020-2022 APPLICATION” in the subject line. Questions may be directed to Ellie Masoomkhah (email@example.com); or Awais Azhar (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The selection and confirmation will be made in February.
- February 11, 2020: Deadline for applications
- February 2020: New student representative selected
- April 25, 2020: Spring Governing Board Meeting (Houston, TX)
- November 3, 2020: Fall Governing Board Meeting & Conference (Toronto, Ontario)
Ellie Masoomkhah (Sp. 2018- Sp. 2020)
Planning, Design, and Built Environment
Awais Azhar (Sp. 2019 – Sp. 2021)
School of Architecture
University of Texas at Austin