Nominations Open in February 2019
Awarded in odd-numbered years
The ACSP Distinguished Educator Award is presented in appreciation of significant contributions to the field of planning. The awardee is selected from candidates who are nominated by ACSP members. Nominations must come from members of the faculty of ACSP member schools.
The nominations should include the following: CV and nomination letter from the nominator(s) responding to the specified criteria with supporting letters from at least two persons not within the candidate's own institution. Members of the ACSP Distinguished Educator Award Committee will then choose the awardee from these nominees. Nominees not chosen in their first cycle will be carried forward to the next cycle and considered a second time. Nominators may provide updated materials if they wish.
Winners will be introduced at the ACSP Annual Conference Faculty Awards Luncheon. Profiles and media announcements of winners and their accomplishments will follow the conference.
Deadline for Nominations
The deadline for all nominations is June 1 using the submission form below.
Criteria & Nomination Information
The criteria for nominations to the ACSP Distinguished Educator Award are:
- Scholarly Contributions: Publications and presentations, seminal work, research grants, etc.
- Teaching Excellence: Awards, teaching evaluations, reference of colleagues, and student community, etc.
- Service: Ranging over twenty years or more; contributions to ACSP, APA, AICP, and other professional and academic organizations; roles in local, state, federal commissions and agencies as policy advisors; contributions to one's university.
- Significant Contributions Contributions that have made a significant difference to planning practice.
- Nominations submitted in one year will not be held over for consideration in future years. Current nominations must be received in each award cycle.
- Ed Goetz, Committee Chair, University of Minnesota, email@example.com
- Dan Immergluck, Georgia State University, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hemalata Dandekar, California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, email@example.com
- Karen Chapple, University of California, Berkeley, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mildred Warner, Cornell University, email@example.com
Past Award Winners
Some names of past winners have links to recent articles published in JPER about our Distinguished Educators. We will continue to add links to this page as additional articles are written.
- 2017 Donald Shoup, University of California at Los Angeles
- 2015 Leonie Sandercock, University of British Columbia
- 2013 Raymond Burby, University of North Carolina
- 2011 Peter Marcuse, Columbia University
- 2009 Eugenie Ladner Birch, University of Pennsylvania
- 2007 Lewis D. Hopkins, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- 2006 Martin Wachs, University of California, Berkeley
- 2005 Lawrence E. Susskind, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- 2004 Susan Fainstein, Columbia University
- 2003 Paul Niebanck, University of Washington
- 2002 David Godschalk, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- 2001 No presentation
- 2000 Melvin M. Webber, University of California, Berkeley
- 1999 Lisa Redfield Peattie, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- 1998 Michael Teitz, University of California, Berkeley
- 1997 Lloyd Rodwin, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- 1996 Martin Meyerson, University of Pennsylvania
- 1995 Alan Feldt, University of Michigan
- 1994 John A. Parker, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- 1993 Ann Strong, University of Pennsylvania
- 1992 Melville Branch, University of Southern California (article)
- 1991 Britton Harris, University of Pennsylvania (article)
- 1990 Barclay Jones, Cornell University (article)
- 1987 John Friedmann, University of California, Los Angeles (article)
- 1986 F. Stuart Chapin, Jr., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (article)
- 1985 John Dyckman, Johns Hopkins University (article)
- 1984 John Reps, Cornell University (article)
- 1983 Harvey Perloff, University of California, Los Angeles (article)