Affiliate or Corresponding Membership
- Affiliate Membership is open to any academic unit that has a clear interest in planning, but does not offer a degree in planning (ACSP Bylaws, revised 2019).
- Corresponding Membership is open to any non-U.S. academic unit that offers a degree in planning (ACSP Bylaws, revised 2019).
Faculty of Affiliate and Corresponding Member schools receive access to publications, and conference discounts, among other benefits detailed below.
Faculty and students of either Affiliate or Corresponding members may serve on and chair committees but may not vote or hold office at the Association level (ACSP Bylaws, revised 2019). Affiliate or Corresponding members may pay capitation fees so that their faculty may receive capitation services, including publications (ACSP Bylaws, revised 2019).
Cost: Base Dues of $200 + 80 for each capitated faculty
What is Capitation? Affiliate and Corresponding Members pay base membership dues and may elect to pay an assessment called "capitation" for those of their faculty that they wish to receive many of the benefits listed below.
Benefits of Membership
Promoting Your Program
- Affiliation - All Member Schools are listed with their web link and administrative head contact information.
- Peer Recognition - Faculty and students of Affiliate and Corresponding Member schools are eligible for most ACSP awards, travel scholarships and prizes.
- Planning News - Relevant news added almost daily.
- Member News - A quick scroll down the Planning News page is where you can share with your colleagues what is happening at your department.
- Annual Conference - ACSP Member School faculty receive a reduced registration rate for the Annual Conference which attracts nearly 1200 faculty and students from across the United States and from around the world. The conference offers an opportunity to present research, get feedback, and network for future collaboration. Peer-reviewed abstracts are the foundation for the nearly 200 academic paper sessions, roundtable discussions, and poster sessions at the conference. Additional exhibits and workshops provide opportunities to interact with book publishers, journal editors, and vendors of products relevant to planning education and research.
- AICP CM Credits - Certification Maintenance credits needed to maintain your AICP credential are easily gained by attending sessions at every ACSP Annual Conference.
Journals and Publications
- Weekly Email Newsletter - Emailed to everyone (3000+) with an account at www.acsp.org, this newsletter provides recent headlines from the ACSP Planning News including news from ACSP, Member News, ACSP Annual Conference highlights, faculty announcements, most recent job position postings, deadline reminders, and much more.
- Discounted Subscriptions to JPER - Capitated Member School faculty will receive a print and on-line annual subscription to the Journal of Planning Education and Research, the official journal of the ACSP, with complete access to issues dating back to 1981 (normally a $149 value for an annual individual subscription).
- Online Access to Other Journals - SAGE Publications, as publisher of JPER, will also provide capitated faculty of member schools online electronic access, as available, to the volumes published in calendar year 1999 and thereafter of the Journal of Planning History, the Journal of Planning Literature, and Planning Theory.
- Discounts on Book Purchases - Additionally, members will be entitled to a ten percent (10%) discount off the retail price of SAGE Publications' books (such discount to apply only to purchases made directly from SAGE and excluding SAGE's affiliates' products.
- Career Center Online - Member Schools receive three free position announcements at the ACSP Career Center (value $807) and three free resume purchases (value $75).
- Career Center at the Conference - Only academic member units of ACSP can host Information Sessions about their department and the faculty positions available during the Career Center at the Annual Conference.
Communication & Networking
- ACSP Interest Groups - Connect with your like-minded colleagues by participating with the Faculty Women's Interest Group, the Global Planning Educator's Interest Group, or the Planners of Color Interest Group.
- Faculty Resources - In development we have a faculty searchable database and file libraries.
Engage Your Students & New Faculty
- Summer Workshops - Currently the ACSP offers a pre-doctoral workshop, junior faculty of color workshop, PhD Workshop, and sessions at the Annual Conference geared specifically to students on the job market.
- "The Dr. Is In!" Graduate Student Clinic -The new initiative of 2016 was well received and will continue at the Annual Conference with faculty volunteering their time and students signing up for private meetings with the faculty to review their resumes.
- Faculty Mentoring - The ACSP Faculty Mentoring Committee assists with the development of mentoring relationships.
- Student List Serve - The Bowling League is the student list serve that keeps all students informed of what's happening in ACSP and externally in planning.
- Special Conference Events - The conference app engages the attendees and helps make connections. The Students Only reception has become a very popular tradition for Saturday night of the conference.
- Student Representation - PhD candidates of full member schools can apply to become an ACSP Student Governing Board Representative.
- Travel Assistance - Travel scholarships are available for students and new faculty.