ACSP promotes education, research, service, and outreach in the United States and throughout the world by seeking to:
- recognize diverse needs and interests in planning;
- strengthen the role of planning education in colleges and universities through publications, conferences, and community engagement;
- improve and enhance the accreditation process, and;
- extend planning beyond the classroom into the world of practice.
The routine business of the Association is handled by the Governing Board, though any Governing Board action can be overridden by a majority vote of the Full Members. The Governing Board consists of voting and non-voting members. The seventeen voting members are the four officers (President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer), the Past President, ten regional representatives, and two student representatives appointed by the President. The non-voting members are the three academic members of the Planning Accreditation Board appointed by the ACSP President, the International Programs Liaisons, the Chair of each standing committee, and the Editor of the Journal of Planning Education and Research. The Association bylaws require that the Governing board meet at least annually. In practice there are two meetings per year. The Spring meeting coincides in time and location with the American Planning Association’s National Planning Conference, and the Fall meeting with the Association’s annual conference.
The officers of the association comprise the Executive Committee. The purposes of the Executive Committee are to: review, appraise, and set the Governing Board agenda; propose a budget; and undertake other actions as are deemed necessary for the successful accomplishment of the Association’s goals. The Executive Committee meets at least twice a year in addition to participating in Governing Board meetings. These meetings are generally 4-6 weeks before the Governing Board meetings.
The Association holds an annual Business Meeting at the Fall conference. The purposes of the Business Meeting are to conduct Association business and to install new officers and regional representatives. Other business meetings may be called by the Governing Board or a majority of the Full Members of the Association. Each Full Member has one vote at membership meetings and a quorum is a majority of the Full Members of the Association.
The Association’s bylaws call for seven Standing Committees in addition to the Executive Committee.
- Finances and Investment Committee (Chair: ACSP Treasurer): To determine, administer, and provide oversight on appropriate financial policies and procedures for ACSP and to provide for and oversee the appropriate and timely review thereof. This Committee shall consist of at least three people, and shall be chaired by the Treasurer of ACSP.
- Nominating and Elections Committee (Chair: ACSP Past President): To encourage planning academicians in a wide range of planning programs to assume leadership roles in the Association and to organize and conduct in a timely fashion and in a well publicized manner all required and special elections of the Association, and to endeavor to assure widespread participation therein, especially by racial and ethnic minorities. This Committee will make a good faith effort to nominate at least two candidates for each office in the Association and conduct a mail ballot in advance of the Annual Meeting, for officers and Regional Representatives. In case of a vacancy in the offices of Vice-President, Secretary or Treasurer, this Committee will hold an election to fill the term of office, as soon as practical.
- Review and Appraisal Committee (Chair: President Elect): To review the activities, programs, ways and means of the Association, to help set the Presidential agenda, and to recommend policy or organizational changes to help assure the fulfillment of the Association’s purposes. The Vice-President chairs this Committee, and the Vice-President appoints its membership, for a one-year term.
- Conferences Committee (Chair: Appointed): The purpose of this Committee is to provide guidance and oversight for all Association-sponsored meetings and conferences. This Committee is composed of at least two representatives of the Conference Track Chairs, a representative of the immediate past conference host committee, representatives of host committees for all designated or planned to-date future host sites, a student representative and other persons as may be appointed by the President. The purpose of this Committee is to assure that the ACSP Annual Conference and other such meetings are organized professionally and in a manner that supports meaningful communication and interaction, and to continue to improve ACSP Conferences for the benefit of all attendees.
- PAB Advisory Committee (Chair: Appointed): To solicit and review applications and submit recommendations for educator membership in the Planning Accreditation Board site visitor pool. To review and advise the ACSP Governing Board, Officers, and Membership on PAB matters of importance to ACSP.
- Membership Committee (Chair: Appointed): To interpret conditions for membership in the Association, to recommend needed changes in membership criteria, and to receive applications for membership and transmit them to the Governing Board, with recommendations.
- Institutional Governance Committee (Chair: Appointed): To review and recommend changes, updates, or amendments to the Association’s Articles of Incorporation, Bylaws and the rules and procedure that govern the major activities of ACSP. To evaluate the formal governance structure of ACSP. To identify and suggest alternative approaches, methods, and strategies to improve governance and administrative efficiency, diversity and fairness. And to address specific problems as they arise.
Special Committees, Task Forces, and Interest Groups
The Association bylaws provide for other sub-groups in addition to the Standing Committees. In practice, Interest Groups and Standing Committees have taken on a semi-permanent status. Task Forces are generally created temporarily, to address a specific issue.
- Committee on the Academy (Chair: Appointed)
- Doctoral Committee (Chair: Appointed)
- Faculty Mentoring Committee (Chair: Appointed)
- Committee on Diversity (Chair: Appointed)
- Undergraduate Education Task Force (Chair: Appointed)
- Faculty Women’s Interest Group (FWIG) (Chair: Elected)
- Global Planning Educators Interest Group (GPEIG) (Chair: Elected)
- Planners of Color Interest Group (POCIG) (Chair: Elected)
- Senior Faculty Interest Group (SFIG) (Chair: Elected)