Full Membership is open to any 501(c)(3) or similar U.S. academic unit that offers a degree or degrees in planning. Full Members, and only Full Members, have a vote in elections and Association business meetings. Only faculty and students affiliated with Full Member schools may hold elective office at the Association level. Each faculty member counted in capitation fees will receive capitation services, including publications and special conference fees (ACSP Bylaws, revised 2014).
Full members are engaged in ACSP governance, receive access to publications, and conference discounts, among other benefits detailed below.
Dues for Full Members
Cost: Base Dues of $350 + $50 for each capitated faculty
What is Capitation? It is required that each Full Member school pays base membership dues plus an additional assessment for each faculty with 50% or more time devoted to the Full Member unit. This assessment is called "capitation". Capitation may also optionally be paid, and services received for faculty with less than 50% time devoted to the Full Member department.
Benefits for Full Members
Promoting your program
- Affiliation - All Member Schools are listed with their web link and Department Chair contact information.
- Peer Recognition - Faculty and students of Full Members are eligible for most ACSP awards, travel scholarships and prizes.
- Planning News - Relevant news added almost daily.
- Member News - A quick scroll down the Planning News page is where you can share with your colleagues what is happening at your department.
- APA Academic Membership Program - Only Full Member schools of the ACSP are invited to enroll their faculty in the Academic Membership Program of the APA. Enrolled faculty receive additional benefits in addition to all standard APA member benefits. The ACSP Full Member school pays a fixed annual fee and substantially reduced dues for their individual faculty.
- Annual Conference –ACSP Member School faculty receive a reduced registration rate for the Annual Conference ($85 off per person) which attracts nearly 1200 faculty and students from across the United States and from around the world. The conference offers an opportunity to present research, get feedback, and network for future collaboration. Peer-reviewed abstracts are the foundation for the nearly 200 academic paper sessions, roundtable discussions, and poster sessions at the conference. Additional exhibits and workshops provide opportunities to interact with book publishers, journal editors, and vendors of products relevant to planning education and research.
- AICP CM Credits –Certification Maintenance credits needed to maintain your AICP credential are easily gained by attending sessions at every ACSP Annual Conference.
Journals and Publications
- Weekly Email Newsletter - Emailed to everyone (3000+) with an account at www.acsp.org, this newsletter provides recent headlines from the ACSP Planning News including news from ACSP, Member News, ACSP Annual Conference highlights, faculty announcements, most recent job position postings, deadline reminders, and much more.
- Planning Blogs - Regular additions to our blogs provide insights and expertise on urban and regional planning education and research.
- Discounted Subscriptions to JPER - Capitated Member School faculty will receive a print and on-line annual subscription to the Journal of Planning Education and Research, the official journal of the ACSP, with complete access to issues dating back to 1981 (normally a $149 value for an annual individual subscription).
- Online Access to Other Journals - SAGE Publications, as publisher of JPER, will also provide capitated faculty of member schools online electronic access, as available, to the volumes published in calendar year 1999 and thereafter of the Journal of Planning History, the Journal of Planning Literature, and Planning Theory.
- Discounts on Book Purchases - Additionally, members will be entitled to a ten percent (10%) discount off the retail price of SAGE Publications' books (such discount to apply only to purchases made directly from SAGE and excluding SAGE's affiliates' products.
- Career Center Online - Full Member schools receive three free position announcements at the ACSP Career Center (value $807) and three free resume purchases (value $75).
- Career Center at the Conference - Only academic member units of ACSP can host Information Sessions about their department and the faculty positions available during the Career Center at the Annual Conference.
Communication and Networking
- Discussion Forum - Pose questions and respond to colleagues using the UNIVerse discussion forum.
- ACSP Interest Groups - Connect with your like-minded colleagues by participating with the Faculty Women's Interest Group, the Global Planning Educator's Interest Group, or the Planners of Color Interest Group.
- Faculty Resources - In development we have a faculty searchable database and file libraries.
- Share your Voice - Participation in meetings of the Association is open to all faculty and students of Full member schools. Full Members, and only Full Members, have one vote in elections and Association business meetings. Only faculty and students affiliated with Full Members may hold elective office at the Association level.
Engage your students and new faculty
- Summer Workshops - Currently the ACSP offers a pre-doctoral workshop, junior faculty of color workshop, PhD Workshop, and sessions at the Annual Conference geared specifically to students on the job market.
- "The Dr. is in!" Graduate Student Clinic -The new initiative of 2016 was well received and will continue at the Annual Conference with faculty volunteering their time and students signing up for private meetings with the faculty to review their resumes.
- Faculty mentoring - The ACSP Faculty Mentoring Committee assists with the development of mentoring relationships.
- Student List Serve - The Bowling League is the student list serve that keeps all students informed of what's happening in ACSP and externally in planning.
- Special conference events - The conference app engages the attendees and helps make connections. The Students Only reception has become a very popular tradition for Saturday night of the conference.
- Student representation - PhD candidates of full member schools can apply to become an ACSP Student Governing Board Representative.
- Travel Assistance - Travel scholarships are available for students and new faculty.
Sign up by sharing your program details below.