Scroll to the bottom of this page for the application form.
Deadline: June 1
The ACSP/IACP Karen R. Polenske Best Student Paper Award for Outstanding Paper on a China Planning Related Topic, established in honor of Massachusetts Institute of Technology Professor Karen R. Polenske - a prominent regional economist and a leading scholar of China's sustainable development - is given annually to International Association for China Planning (IACP) student members who present excellent research at major international planning conferences. Currently the IACP presents one Polenske award at their annual conference in China and one Polenske award at their annual membership meeting in the United States during the Association of Collegiate Schools of Planning (ACSP) conference.
The winner of this competition will receive $ 1,000 USD to cover portions of her/his expenses for conference travel. In the case of two winners, the two winners will share the $1,000 USD prize.
The Karen R. Polenske Best Student Paper Award has been made possible by generous donations given by several distinguished individuals who are mostly Professor Polenske's former students.
To be eligible for this year’s ACSP Karen R. Polenske Best Student Paper Award, author must:
- be a current IACP student member;
- be either the sole author or the lead author of a paper that has been accepted for presentation at the ACSP Annual Conference (ACSP staff will verify the accepted paper); and
- attend and present the paper at the ACSP Annual Conference.
- Please submit the full paper, along with one recommendation letter from either a faculty member or program administrator as one PDF.
- The application deadline is April 15.
The award committee will evaluate the full papers submitted based on their innovative scholarship and insight that advance the understanding of China-related planning topics, including but not limited to urbanization, urban economics, housing and community development, environmental planning, land use policy, transportation planning, urban design, analytical methods for urban studies, regional development issues. The full paper submitted should have excellent organization, structure, style, clarity, and originality.
The committee constitutes four current IACP board members. It is established by IACP with consideration of the ACSP President and updated by both.
- Chair: Jason Cao, University of Minnesota, email@example.com
- Mengke Chen, World Bank, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Yu Xiao, Texas A&M University, email@example.com
- Yang Zhang, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, firstname.lastname@example.org
Past Award Winners
- 2016 Chenghe Guan, Harvard University
- 2015 Qianqi Shen, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
- 2014 Nick Smith, Harvard University
Please complete the form below to apply. Questions about the form can be addressed to Donna Dodd, email@example.com.