Clemson University, a land-grant research university in upstate South Carolina, is recruiting candidates for the position of Vice Provost and Dean of the Graduate School. The University seeks an innovative and dynamic leader with administrative experience in graduate education, strong interpersonal skills, a strong research and teaching background, and an ability to direct planned growth in graduate education.
Reporting to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, the Vice Provost and Dean of the Graduate School coordinates all graduate programs and advises the Provost on policies and regulations pertaining to graduate study, graduate admissions, graduate student programs and the granting of graduate degrees. Clemson currently enrolls about 4,200 graduate students in 42 doctoral and 75 master’s degree programs. Increasing Ph.D. enrollment is a strategic priority for the University.
Responsibilities of the position include:
- coordinate graduate student marketing and recruitment activities, with the aim of increasing PhD enrollment;
- work collaboratively with the Offices of Admissions and Registrar to manage admissions and enrollment activities;
- enhance graduate programs in topical emphasis areas (examples: advanced materials, automotive and transportation technology, biotechnology, sustainable environment);
- maintain high-quality graduate programs through continuous program assessment;
- oversee graduate student orientation and professional development programs;
- develop new opportunities to enhance resources for graduate assistantships and fellowships;
- formulate and implement policies that provide support for graduate education and maintain compliance with University, state and federal regulations.
The successful candidate will bring to this position;
- analytical experience and IT/statistical capabilities for developing detailed spreadsheets, reports and evidence to fulfill assessment requirements;
- extensive experience with graduate students and the research enterprise as a graduate student mentor and chair of graduate committees;
- administrative and leadership abilities as well as a high energy level and drive to get things done.
Minimum qualifications include an earned doctorate or equivalent terminal degree and ability to qualify for tenure within an academic unit of the University. Salary will be competitive.
Applicants submit a letter of application stating interest in and a vision for the position; a resume or vita and a list of four references (with phone numbers, mail and email addresses) electronically to the email address email@example.com. Application materials may be submitted by mail to Graduate Search Committee, Office of the Provost, 206 Sikes Hall, Clemson, SC, 29634-5101.
Review of applications will begin on November 22, 2013, and will continue until the position is filled. Questions related to the position can be directed to the Search Committee Chair, Dr. Denise Anderson, firstname.lastname@example.org, 864-656-5679.
Clemson University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any individual or group of individuals on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or genetic information.