ACSP Administrators' Conference & New Chairs' School
Monday, February 13, 2017
Join the ACSP Committee on the Academy for the 10th Administrators' Conference & New Chairs' School to be held just outside of Washington D.C. at the Hyatt Regency in Reston, Virginia from March 9 – 11, 2017.
This biennial event will kick off with the New Chairs' School on Thursday, March 9 beginning at 10 a.m. EST. This is a “must attend” event for all new department chairs and will be led by Cheryl Contant, a consultant with Advancing Your Strengths and Tim Chapin, Interim Dean for the College of Social Sciences at Florida State University.
Thursday evening offers a special event called the Deans' Dinner at 7:00 p.m. at Tavern64. This is a separately ticketed event to which all Deans, Associate and Assistant Deans are encouraged to attend. Purchase your conference and dinner tickets today!
The Administrators' Conference portion of the weekend begins on Friday, March 10 at 8:00 a.m. with welcoming remarks from Lois Takahashi, ACSP President, and Niraj Verma, Chair of the ACSP Committee on the Academy.
“I have attended several ACSP Administrators' Conferences. The conferences are useful forums to gain insights into management, faculty recruitment, student related issues, and other responsibilities of administration. While solutions from one context may not always be readily applicable, they serve to illuminate the importance of strategic and principled leadership and how Chairs, Directors, Deans, Associate Deans, and others really make a difference,” shares Dr. Verma. “If you are in one of these positions or aspire to an administrative role this conference is the place to share and learn. This year we have some outstanding participants including three distinguished keynote speakers, the first elected African American Governor and a President and Provost who are also planning professors. I look forward to welcoming you to the conference.”
In addition to hearing from numerous distinguished panelists on a multitude of topics related to planning administration, there will be three keynote speakers:
- University of Toledo President Sharon Gabor who will speak on “Why Planners Are Well Suited to be University Presidents?”
- Oregon State University's incoming Executive Vice President and Provost Edward Feser who will discuss the shifting fiscal circumstances of colleges in his address, “Affordability, Accessibility and Changing Funding Models in Higher Education."
- Former Governor of Virginia, the Honorable Douglas Wilder will address equity questions of today in his presentation entitled, “Recognizing and Reassessing the Real Problems Facing America.”
“There are lots of conferences, but the ACSP Administrators’ Conference is precious for the chance to learn from other planning school administrators and to think through responses to opportunities and challenges my school faces,” adds Conference Co-Chair Bruce Stiftel. “Each time, I return home with a notebook packed with ideas, and new contacts to help me down the road.”
Access the full conference agenda. If you haven’t already registered, now is the time … don’t delay, click here and register today.
A special thank you to the following ACSP Committee on the Academy Members for all of your hard work putting together this conference:
- Niraj Verma, Virginia Commonwealth University, Chair
- Bruce Stiftel, Georgia Institute of Technology, Co-chair
- Maria Conroy, The Ohio State University
- Edward Feser, Oregon State University
- Greg Lindsey, University of Minnesota, Twin Cities
- Stacy White, University of Kansas