UNIVerse
|<
<
1 | 2 |
>
>|
Forum Actions

Topics   Replies Score Author Latest Post
Experiments in Planning 7 J. Honey-Roses Hi Jordi, although I don't think this is exactly what you are looking for, I thought the readers may be interested to learn there is a small literature using experimental techniques applied to planning support systems (PSS) and other GIS tools. Here are a few articles that came to mind:te Brömmelstroet, Marco. 2015. "A Critical Reflection on the Experimental Method for Planning Research: Testing the Added Value of PSS in a Controlled Environment." Planning Practice & Research 30 (2):179-201. doi: 10.1080/02697459.2015.1023077.Arciniegas, Gustavo, Ron Janssen, and Piet Rietveld. 2012. "Effectiveness of collaborative map-based decision support tools: Results of an experiment." Environmental Modelling & Software (0). doi: 10.1016/j.envsoft.2012.02.021.Jankowski, Piotr, and Timothy Nyerges. 2001. "GIS-Supported Collaborative Decision Making: Results of an Experiment." Annals of the Association of American Geographers 91 (1):48-70. doi: 10.1111/0004-5608.00233.
by R. Goodspeed
Monday, November 14, 2016
Planning in the Midst of Movement: Pedagogy, Practice, Policing, and Place 0 J. Durham The issue of police violence in minority communities has come to the forefront of public discourse in recent years.  There are a number of planning scholars who have been thinking about how the ACSP and planning more broadly might play a useful role in understanding and addressing this issue.  This round table discussion "Planning in the Midst of Movement: Pedagogy, Practice, Policing and Place", will hopefully be the first of many, to help us better understand the interaction between planning and policing in communities.  For those who are interested in attending below are several questions to think about before the session:     Given our collective expertise on issues related to residential segregation, urban renewal, white flight, etc., which contribute to abusive police policies and practices towards racialized minorities, why don't we, as planning scholars, tackle these wicked problems? How can planners contribute to criminal justice reform?    How is criminality or punishment embedded in broader place-based policies?
by J. Durham
Wednesday, November 2, 2016
Blog on launching a planning career 1 R. Willson Thanks for posting, this is a great resource. I've shared it with our students, as well as our Career Services and Admissions staff. The posts definitely respond to some key issues and questions I hear from students. I especially appreciate the emphasis on a career journey - the career infographic is a fantastic tool!
by C. Slotterback
Monday, October 31, 2016
Forum Organization 1 M. Miller Hi Matt, the ACSP Communications Committee has been definitely discussed this idea.  For now, while folks are getting used to the Forum and we're seeing what kind of content is posted, we're keeping it open.  However, as more content emerges, there is an opportunity to create sub-forum/categories to further organize the content.  In addition, right now, we're also encouraging folks to the use the ACSP News and ACSP Career Center functions for items that are announcements rather than discussion items.  I hope this helps!
by C. Slotterback
Monday, October 31, 2016
WATCH LIVE: White House Frontiers Conference Harnessing the Possibilities o 1 L. Takahashi The White House has a press release about this initiative, released today, October 31, 2016: https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2016/10/31/fact-sheet-obama-administration-highlights-opportunities-building -- thanks again to all the Deans that signed on to this commitment for resilient design (and to those of you who nudged your Deans!).
by L. Takahashi
Monday, October 31, 2016
Urban Affairs Award 0 M. Nguyen Did you know that planning is the top field represented at the Urban Affairs Association Conference? Well, it is!  The Urban Affairs Association is seeking nominations for the Contribution to the Field of Urban Affairs Award to recognize individuals whose body of work has contributed to defining the field. The award will be presented to one or more individuals at the 2017 UAA conference in Minneapolis. As a UAA Board Member, we are reaching out to you for your assistance in publicizing the award and soliciting nominations. The individual(s) will be recognized for significantly shaping the field of Urban Affairs based on one or more of the following criteria: Scholarship in urban affairs that influences the thinking of academics and practitioners over an extended career; Significant teaching and mentoring of junior scholars; and, Distinguished professional service that advances the work of urban affairs practitioners. Award recipients receive a plaque, lifetime UAA membership, and complimentary registration for the 2017 UAA conference. Past recipients include Clarence Stone (2014, George Washington University) and George Galster (2016, Wayne State University). Nominations for the award consist of at least one nomination letter (on letterhead), but no more than three, from a current UAA member. Letter(s) should address the nominee’s body of work and describe the individual’s contributions.  A recent copy of the nominee’s curriculum vitae should accompany the letter. Individuals who have been previously nominated, but not selected for the award, may be re-nominated with updated materials. Deadline for submitting nominations is December 19, 2016. If you have any questions about the award or the nomination process, please feel free to contact us. Thank you for helping to continue the success of this award and the organization! Best, The Recognitions Committee of the UAA Bill Holt wholt@bsc.edu Marla Nelson mnelson@uno.edu Deirdre Oakley doakley1@gsu.edu
by M. Nguyen
Wednesday, October 26, 2016
USC Price Faculty Voice, Arts and Economic Development 0 M. Boarnet In our latest “Faculty Voice” (http://goo.gl/bBBjNh), Prof. Elizabeth Currid-Halkett explains how the arts drive urban economic development -- discussing topics from the "Soho Effect" to data visualization.
by M. Boarnet
Wednesday, October 26, 2016
New edited volume: Seeing Cities Through Big Data 0 N. Tilahun We have a new edited volume titled Seeing Cities Through Big Data: Research, Methods and Applications in Urban Informatics available through Springer (co-edited by Vonu Thakuriah, Moira Zellner and myself) . The book brings together twenty-nine contributed chapters that are relevant to planners and urban academics.  Chapters address a variety of topics including challenges and opportunities of Urban Big Data, changing organizational and educational perspectives with Big Data, social equity and data democracy, as well as empirical works focused on transportation, sea level rise, urban soundscapes, emergencies, among others, that utilize Big Data for knowledge discovery in urban contexts.    The book is available here: http://link.springer.com/book/10.1007%2F978-3-319-40902-3
by N. Tilahun
Tuesday, October 18, 2016
Audience for the Forum compared with Planet 3 M. Krieger Hi Matt,Thanks for your question. PLANET no longer exists and was not affiliated with ACSP, so there is no count of members available. For the Forum, unfortunately the ACSP website platform does not allow us to see individual members who have subscribed to the Forum. We're disappointed that we can't see this information, but will be tracking overall visits to the Forum page via web analytics. We're hoping we'll have more access to the Forum backend data when an update to the system available in the coming months. Sorry I can't be of greater help. Feel free to email me directly at schiv005@umn.edu if you'd like to discuss further.
by C. Slotterback
Monday, October 17, 2016
Crowd- or open-sourcing a quant methods textbook 0 D. Hsu Dear all,  I mentioned the idea of crowd- or open-sourcing a quantitative methods text specifically focused on urban planning on the Planners 2040 Facebook group back on May 17. I'm sorry to have let this idea sit for awhile, but it occurs to me that the best way to discuss this is in person at ACSP in Portland, probably Friday or Saturday. If you're interested in participating or discussing, could you please *comment* again below or else drop me a line at ydh at mit dot edu? Then I will try to organize a discussion using a combination of Googledropslack. Best, David  
by D. Hsu
Monday, October 17, 2016
Seeking feedback on syllabus for energy + urban planning course 3 C. Slotterback Here is the syllabus for a course I teach called "Urban Energy Systems":https://www.dropbox.com/s/hlm9c1dnantqgc2/150929-11-477-final-syllabus-2015.pdf?dl=0Best, David
by D. Hsu
Monday, October 17, 2016
Photographing Transit Oriented Development, NYC 2 M. Krieger I haven't tried photographing specifically transit-oriented developments, but I supervised a student who looked at the impact of trams on the urban form of Brisbane, Australia (see Melville, E. and Minnery, J. (2015) Public transport, urban form and urban structure: The example of Brisbane's tram system, Australian Planner, http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/07293682.2014.957333 ). As background to the research we got hold of old photos of the tram termini -- the photos were by tram enthusiasts so mainly showed the trams themsleves with some background -- and re-photographed the locations in 2015. It gave some idea of the changes to land use in the vicinity of transit stops, which were generally quite impressive. The old photos are copyrighted so we never used them in the article but I still have digital copies which I'm happy to share if they are of interest.John M.j.minnery@uq.edu.au
by J. Minnery
Saturday, October 15, 2016
Share with students- 2017 Study Abroad: Bicycle Transportation 0 M. Schlossberg Colleagues- As appropriate, can you please share this study abroad opportunity with your students?   Designing Cities for People on Bikes June 23 - July 17, 2017 Study Abroad: Denmark and the Netherlands Professor Marc Schlossberg, University of Oregon The course is open to anyone from any field at any level of study, although most students tend to be upper division or graduate-level planning students.  Close to half the course cost can be covered through scholarships if the student wants (for U.S. citizens only though due to the funding sources).  More information and a link for students to let me know if they are at least slightly interested can be found here: https://blogs.uoregon.edu/schlossb/study-abroad-bicycle-transportation/  Thank you! - Marc Schlossberg, University of Oregon
by M. Schlossberg
Friday, October 14, 2016
Dale Prize 2017 Solicitation Announcement 0 R. Willson The Department of Urban and Regional Planning (URP) at Cal Poly Pomona seeks nominations for the 2017 William R. and June Dale Prize for Excellence in Urban and Regional Planning. The Dale Prize recognizes planning excellence, creates dialogue between scholars and practitioners, and enriches the education of planning students. The Dale Prize is awarded in pairs: a $5,000 award to a scholar and a $5,000 award to a practitioner.   The 2017 theme is Southern California Suburbs: Looking Backward and Looking Forward. URP is marking the 50th anniversary of its Bachelor of Science degree in 2017. The department was created to educate professional planners for local government planning offices in Southern California suburbs. Initially, these suburbs focused on orderly development and environmental protection for bedroom-community development. Over the 50 years, these suburban communities have evolved into more complex places, characterized by differences in race, ethnicity and economic class. They have regional, national and global economic connections, with new focuses in trade, logistics and emerging technologies and industries. Some of these communities now defy the suburban stereotype, while others celebrate their original built-form patterns from another era.   We are looking for a Dale Prize Scholar who will offer insight into this sweep of history – the past and the future of the Southern California suburb. Guiding questions include: How have the social, environmental, and economic dimensions of suburban Southern California changed, and what is the future of these areas? Can the current organizational structure of local, sub-regional, and regional planning entities address the key planning challenges? What should be the transformation agenda for legacy built form so that we can address new realities? What kinds of planning processes and strategies will position suburban Southern California to transform and prosper in the next 50 years?    We are seeking a Dale Prize Practitioner who will provide insights on the dynamics of local and sub-regional governance and suggest ways forward to address challenges associated with immigration, racial and ethnic diversity, economic expansion and workforce development, housing affordability, traffic congestion, and climate change.  These discussions will better inform alumni and students about the communities in which they work and will help guide URP to educate future planners for Southern California as it has formed so many of those now working here.    Dale Prize events will be held February 1st and 2nd, 2017, on the Cal Poly Pomona campus. Nominations are due on December 2, 2016. For more information, or to receive a nomination package, please see https://env.cpp.edu/urp/dale-prize/2017. If you have additional questions, contact Dr. Do Kim at dohyungkim@cpp.edu or (909) 869-4645. 
by R. Willson
Thursday, October 13, 2016
ACSP Faculty Mentoring Program: Call for Mentors and Mentees 0 A. Garde Dear All, I am sending this call for mentors and mentees on behalf of the ACSP Faculty Mentoring Committee. The objectives and expectations of the program are included as an attachment to this email and are summarized below. Please circulate this email to anyone who might be interested and especially to your colleagues who are unable to access ACSP Community Forum. Thanks in advance. Goals and Objectives The purpose of the ACSP Faculty Mentoring Program is to provide assistant and associate professors at ACSP-member planning schools with guidance and advice from respected senior planning faculty at other universities.  Mentoring is meant to help faculty members develop goals and strategies for their research; to provide guidance in searching for research funding; to help evaluate and enhance the quality of faculty research, including papers, books, and funded research proposals; to provide guidance and suggestions in course development; to provide periodic progress reviews; to provide networking opportunities; and to offer advice on service, especially professional and community. The ACSP Faculty Mentoring program is not meant to replace mentoring that takes place within a planning school or university.  Such mentoring is especially valuable in assisting the faculty member in understanding the expectations for promotion and tenure at his or her own institution.  Instead, by providing access to someone who is a national leader in the field or general area in which the mentee is working, the ACSP Faculty Mentoring program can facilitate interaction with a colleague who fully understands and can contribute to the research and teaching agenda of the faculty member seeking promotion and tenure. Best regards, Ajay --  Ajay Garde, Ph.D. Associate Professor Department of Planning, Policy, and Design 212D Social Ecology I University of California, Irvine Irvine, CA 92697-7075 Ph. 949/824-9087 Email: agarde@uci.edu
by A. Garde
Monday, October 10, 2016
Last call: Graduate student clinic sign ups and student bulletin 0 A. Lee Hi everyone, This is the last week for graduate student clinic sign-ups before finalizing the schedule. There may be some open spots to sign up at the conference, but advanced sign-ups will ensure you get the most feedback! For students interested in getting feedback from faculty for 30 minutes, please visit: http://bit.ly/GSC-signup.  For faculty interested in helping, please sign up at http://bit.ly/GSC-faculty!  Students will be asked to upload any relevant materials to Dropbox ahead of time so that faculty can review materials ahead of time. Also please find attached the first ACSP student bulletin, which includes useful information for students and the general ACSP community including: recent student/current student accomplishments and updates student-related activities for the fall conference information on the graduate student clinic general information on the ACSP committees and how to get involved, and more! If you have any questions, please email me at acspgroup@gmail.com. Please disseminate widely! Thank you! Aujean Lee ACSP Student Representative
by A. Lee
Monday, October 10, 2016
USC Price Faculty Voice: Community Health Planning by David Sloane 0 M. Boarnet The USC Price Planning Faculty Voice continues today, with Prof. David Sloane writing about our program’s contributions to community health planning.  David describes healthy place-making as “one of the fundamental tenets of urban planning.”  He describes our faculty’s efforts that span from South Los Angeles to around the world.  Please click the link below and join the conversation. – Marlon Boarnet http://uscprice.createsend1.com/t/ViewEmail/r/750302D44517E0BC2540EF23F30FEDED
by M. Boarnet
Tuesday, October 4, 2016
CfP: Participatory Mapping Conference at CalPoly SLO 1 M. Lauria Thanks for sharing this opportunity.  It looks like the conference dates have been set for July 31 - August 3, 2017, in San Luis Obispo.  It sounds like there has been strong interest.  I hope to participate. For others who are interested, Greg Brown at Cal Poly SLO is the contact - ggbrown@calpoly.edu
by C. Slotterback
Thursday, September 29, 2016
New book: Saving Our Cities 0 W. Goldsmith New Book Announcement I am pleased to announce the publication of Saving Our Cities: A Progresssive Plan to Transform Urban America. The book is available from Cornell University Press or from Amazon. Brief editorial reviews appear at each site. In Saving Our Cities I argue that the most important 'urban' policies we can pursue are those that are not actually regarded as 'urban' at all. To improve our cities we need to pay close attention to damages that come from "upstream." These damages disproportionately harm urban areas. Federal and state decisions, often in suport of corporate goals, harm city residents by promoting austerity, unequal schools, bad food, and the drug war. The time is right for cities (and city planners) to push for more enlightened state and federal action. For more information on Saving Our Cities, click on the CUP site below or search on Amazon.com: http://www.cornellpress.cornell.edu/book/?GCOI=80140100510000      
by W. Goldsmith
Tuesday, September 27, 2016
First ACSP Student Bulletin 0 A. Lee Hi everyone, Please find attached the first ACSP student bulletin, which includes useful information for students and the general ACSP community including: recent student/current student accomplishments and updates student-related activities for the fall conference information on the graduate student clinic general information on the ACSP committees and how to get involved, and more! If you have any questions, please email me at acspgroup@gmail.com. Please disseminate widely!    
by A. Lee
Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Mission

The Association of Collegiate Schools of Planning promotes education, research, service and outreach in the United States and throughout the world by seeking to:

• recognize diverse needs and interests in planning;
  • improve and enhance the accreditation process, and;
  • strengthen the role of planning education in colleges and universities through publications, conferences, and community engagement;
  • extend planning beyond the classroom into the world of practice.

Connect

2927 Kerry Forest Parkway • Tallahassee FL 32309