Urban Informatics
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

3/28/2017 at 7:22:44 PM GMT
Urban Informatics

I am looking for sample syllabi and recommendations for readings for a graduate course in Urban Informatics. The Division of Architecture and Environmental Design at Temple University is developing an interdisciplinary post-professional degree called Sustainable Built Environments to be taught by faculty in architecture, planning and landscape architecture.  One of the courses the steering committee has identified for development as core methods course is urban informatics.  The purpose of the course would be to develop skills in analyzing big data related to the built and natural environments and using the results to inform practice. The course likely will be crossed listed at the masters level in the city and regional planning program.

Thanks - Lynn

4/3/2017 at 8:03:40 PM GMT
Hi Lynn, by coincidence I am working on a similar course as part of a new graduate certificate in urban informatics I am developing here at Michigan with an interdisciplinary faculty committee. We won't have a finished syllabus until the end of the summer, but I'd be happy to talk about the topics and general approach we have in mind, send me an email and we can set up a time. Thanks,

Rob

4/4/2017 at 8:26:32 PM GMT
Hi Lynn -- we teach a similar masters course at UC Berkeley. I have a short write-up here: http://geoffboeing.com/2015/08/urban-informatics-visualization-berkeley/. I'd also be interested to chat more with you and Rob as your course development progresses.

Mission

The Association of Collegiate Schools of Planning promotes education, research, service and outreach in the United States and throughout the world by seeking to:

• recognize diverse needs and interests in planning;
  • improve and enhance the accreditation process, and;
  • strengthen the role of planning education in colleges and universities through publications, conferences, and community engagement;
  • extend planning beyond the classroom into the world of practice.

Connect

2927 Kerry Forest Parkway • Tallahassee FL 32309