LGBTQ Planners in ACSP and at ACSP
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

11/3/2016 at 11:26:41 PM GMT
LGBTQ Planners in ACSP and at ACSP

What type of interest is there for a group of LGBTQ planning faculty and students within ACSP? In the past, we have called ourselves Inclusion: the association of LGBTQ  planning faculty and students. At times we have sponsored Roundtables at ACSP and informal get togethers. 

Respond to this thread on the Forum. Let us know:

1. Are you interested in such a group?

2. What topics around LGBTQ issues and planning are you currently researching or working on? 

3. What should our presence be within ACSP and at our individual schools?

4. How can we best support each other and create LGBTQ space within the academy?

You may also email me if you do not want to respond to everyone in ACSP on the Forum.

Michael Frisch, Central States Rep, ACSP Board

Associate Professor, Program Director, Urban Planning + Design, UMKC

frischm@umkc.edu

11/4/2016 at 4:57:47 PM GMT
Ahhh... finally found it.
Thank you Michael for putting this out there.
I am certainly interested in such a group.

I would also like to add that another function that we might consider is carving out some time for social gatherings. Several of us have often gone out for a drinks or dinner in whatever passes for safe space in the local community. We can keep doing this on an insider basis, but perhaps we might think about expanding the group.

Also I would like to see more explicit efforts to use the mobile workshops to explore areas of LGBTQ interest. This requires lots more advance organizing, but I am sure we could pull it off if conference organizers knew that 15 - 20 people were interested i such a tour.

11/4/2016 at 9:32:58 PM GMT
Sign me up! Sorry I am not in Portland; I hope to make it to Denver.

11/7/2016 at 2:57:49 PM GMT
I am also interested. One thing I would like to see is the inclusion of LGBTQ status as part of the "diversity" in accreditation standards, and that is something that can be moved forward by ACSP (although the PAB is being quite squirrelly these days about how to "word" that standard).

I attended the Portland meeting, and after viewing all of the different gatherings of specialty groups and planning program alumni, I felt that an LGBTQ social gathering would have been a nice addition. Despite beliefs to the contrary, we cannot just pick each other out via "gaydar"!

Mark Hafen
Univ. of South Florida

11/8/2016 at 2:48:17 PM GMT
I am interested in such a group. We may what to find ways to connect with LGBTQ practioners in whatever cities we meet. It strengthens LGBTQ planning interests and the relationship between planning schools and practice. Chicago has a very active LGBTQ MeetUp group called Moxie.

Curt Winkle

11/8/2016 at 11:01:19 PM GMT
I would be interested as well.

I don't currently work on anything related to LGBTQ issues, but as a scholar of aging, I may move into LGBT elder issues after my dissertation.

While mobile tours and an expanded presence at the annual conference are good ideas, let us bear in mind that the next conference is almost precisely one year away at this point. We could try to find a way to establish a web presence in the meantime. I like the idea of a group such as Inclusion, either here in the Forum or via a dedicated listserv.

-James Wood, Ph.D. student
Florida State University

Last edited Tuesday, November 8, 2016
11/8/2016 at 11:57:43 PM GMT
I would be interested.

11/11/2016 at 10:17:36 PM GMT
I would be very interested in this a a way to understand safe spaces for LGBTQA community members.

10/14/2017 at 12:25:48 PM GMT
LGBTQ Planners in Denver at ACSP 2017.
:
We plan to meet in the hotel lobby at 8:30 Sat Ovct 14 and walk to Pride and Swagger, a local bar. There's also the Roundtable today at 2pm.

Mission

The Association of Collegiate Schools of Planning promotes education, research, service and outreach in the United States and throughout the world by seeking to:

• recognize diverse needs and interests in planning;
  • improve and enhance the accreditation process, and;
  • strengthen the role of planning education in colleges and universities through publications, conferences, and community engagement;
  • extend planning beyond the classroom into the world of practice.

Connect

2927 Kerry Forest Parkway • Tallahassee FL 32309