- ACSP Standing Committees - Executive, Finance & Investment, Nominating & Elections, Review & Appraisal, Conference, PAB Advisory, Membership, Institutional Governance
- ACSP Special Committees - Committee on the Academy, Doctoral, Faculty Mentoring, Committee on Diversity
- ACSP Task Forces - Advisory Committee for the Planetizen Guide, Guide & Web
ACSP Standing Committees
The officers of the association comprise the Executive Committee. The purposes of the Executive Committee are to: review, appraise, and set the Governing Board agenda; propose a budget; and undertake other actions as are deemed necessary for the successful accomplishment of the Association’s goals. The Executive Committee meets at least twice a year in addition to participating in Governing Board meetings. These meetings are generally 4-6 weeks before the Governing Board meetings.
- President until 10/22/2015: June M. Thomas, University of Michigan, firstname.lastname@example.org [2013-2015]
- Incoming President on 10/22/2015: Lois Takahashi, University of California, Los Angeles, email@example.com [2013-2015]
- Incoming Vice President: Weiping Wu, Tufts University, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Secretary until 10/22/2015: Avis Vidal, Wayne State University, email@example.com [2013-2015]
- Incoming Secretary 10/22/2015: Clarissa Schively Slotterback, University of Michigan, firstname.lastname@example.org [2015-2017]
- Treasurer: Clinton Andrews, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, email@example.com, [2015-2017]
Finance and Investment Committee
To determine, administer, and provide oversight on appropriate financial policies and procedures for ACSP and to provide for and oversee the appropriate and timely review thereof. This Committee shall consist of at least three people, and shall be chaired by the Treasurer of ACSP.
- Chair: Clinton Andrews, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, firstname.lastname@example.org [2011-2017]
- Barry Nocks, Clemson University, email@example.com [2009-2017]
- Susan Bradbury, firstname.lastname@example.org [2009-2017]
- Donna Dodd, ACSP Bursar/Ex Officio, email@example.com
- Nancy Harrison, CPA/Ex Officio, Bean Team, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Brad Schur, Financial Advisor/Ex Officio, Merrill Lynch Wealth Management, email@example.com
Nominating and Election Committee
To encourage planning academicians in a wide range of planning programs to assume leadership roles in the Association and to organize and conduct in a timely fashion and in a well publicized manner all required and special elections of the Association, and to endeavor to assure widespread participation therein, especially by racial and ethnic minorities. This Committee will make a good faith effort to nominate at least two candidates for each office in the Association and conduct a mail ballot in advance of the Annual Meeting, for officers and Regional Representatives. In case of a vacancy in the offices of Vice-President, Secretary or Treasurer, this Committee will hold an election to fill the term of office, as soon as practical. The chair of this committee is appointed by the president.
- Chair: june Thomas, University of Michigan, firstname.lastname@example.org [2015-2017]
- Charles Connerly, University of Iowa, email@example.com [2013-2015, 2015-2017]
- Rebecca Miles, Florida State University, firstname.lastname@example.org [2013-April 30, 2016]
- Curtis Winkle, University of Illinois at Chicago, email@example.com [2013-2017]
Review and Appraisal Committee
To review the activities, programs, ways and means of the Association, to help set the Presidential agenda, and to recommend policy or organizational changes to help assure the fulfillment of the Association’s purposes. The Vice-President chairs this Committee, and the Vice-President appoints its membership, for a one-year term.
- Chair, Lois Takahashi, University of California, Los Angeles, firstname.lastname@example.org [2014-2015]
- Lisa Bates, Portland State University, email@example.com [2014-2015]
- Victoria Beard, Cornell University, firstname.lastname@example.org [2014-2015]
- Daniel Campo, Morgan State University, email@example.com [2015-2015]
- Jason Corburn, University of California, Berkeley, firstname.lastname@example.org [2014-2015]
- Kenya Covington, California State University, Northridge, email@example.com [2014-2015]
- Priyam Das, University of Hawaii, Priyam@hawaii.edu [2014-2015]
- Hazel Edwards, Catholic University of America, firstname.lastname@example.org [2014-2015]
- Ann Forsyth, Harvard University, email@example.com [2014-2015]
- Jeffrey Lowe, Texas Southern University, firstname.lastname@example.org [2014-2015]
- Rebecca Miles, Florida State University, email@example.com [2014-2015]
- Alfonso Morales, University of Wisconsin, firstname.lastname@example.org [2014-2015]
- Eric Morris, Clemson University, email@example.com [2014-2015]
- Anne Vernez-Moudon, University of Washington, firstname.lastname@example.org [2014-2015]
- Jeremy Nemeth, University of Colorado Denver, email@example.com [2014-2015]
- Hilary Nixon, San Jose State University, firstname.lastname@example.org [2014-2015]
- Catherine Ross, Georgia Institute of Technology, email@example.com [2014-2015]
- Deden Rukmana, Savannah State University, firstname.lastname@example.org [2014-2015]
- David Sloane, University of Southern California, email@example.com [2014-2015]
- Stacey S. White, University of Kansas, firstname.lastname@example.org [2014-2015]
- Weiping Wu, Tufts University, email@example.com [2014-2015]
The structure of the Conference Committee is comprised of the chairs of the two most recent past conferences, the chairs of the two prospective conferences, and the ACSP Vice-president, ex officio. The chair of the Conference Committee is to be appointed by the President of ACSP. The Conference Committee meets twice each year. The purpose of this Committee is to provide guidance and oversight for all Association-sponsored meetings and conferences. This Committee is composed of at least two representatives of the Conference Track Chairs, a representative of the immediate past conference host committee, representatives of host committees for all designated or planned to-date future host sites, a student representative and other persons as may be appointed by the President. The purpose of this Committee is to assure that the ACSP Annual Conference and other such meetings are organized professionally and in a manner that supports meaningful communication and interaction, and to continue to improve ACSP Conferences for the benefit of all attendees.
- Chair: Rayman Mohamed, Wayne State University, firstname.lastname@example.org [2014-2016]
- Weiping Wu, Tufts University, email@example.com [2015-2017]
- Sheri Smith, Texas Southern University, firstname.lastname@example.org [2014-2016]
- Cecilia Giusti, Texas Southern University, email@example.com [2014-2016]
- Lisa Bates, Portland State University, firstname.lastname@example.org [2015-2017]
- Jeremy Nemeth, University of Colorado, Denver, email@example.com [2015-2018]
- Caitlyn Dyckman, Clemson University, firstname.lastname@example.org [2015-2016]
- Jason Brody, Kansas State University, email@example.com [2015-2016]
- James Wood, Florida State University, firstname.lastname@example.org [2015-2017]
PAB Advisory Committee
To solicit and review applications and submit recommendations for educator membership in the Planning Accreditation Board site visitor pool. To review and advise the ACSP Governing Board, Officers, and Membership on PAB matters of importance to ACSP. The chair of this committee is appointed by the president.
- Chair: Mickey Lauria, Clemson University, email@example.com [2014-2017]
- Ann-Margaret Esnard, Georgia State University, firstname.lastname@example.org [2013-2017]
- Justin Hollander, Tufts University, email@example.com [2015-2017]
- Lisa Schweitzer, University of Southern California, firstname.lastname@example.org [2015-2017]
- Jerry Anthony, University of Iowa, email@example.com, [2015-2017]
The chair of this committee is appointed by the president. The purpose of this committee it to interpret conditions for membership in the Association, to recommend needed changes in membership criteria, and to receive applications for membership and transmit them to the Governing Board, with recommendations.
- The seats on this committee are currently vacant.
Institutional Governance Committee
The chair of this committee is appointed by the president. The purpose of this committee is to review and recommend changes, updates, or amendments to the Association’s Articles of Incorporation, Bylaws and the rules and procedure that govern the major activities of ACSP; to evaluate the formal governance structure of ACSP; to identify and suggest alternative approaches, methods, and strategies to improve governance and administrative efficiency, diversity and fairness; and to address specific problems as they arise.
- Chair: June Thomas, University of Michigan, firstname.lastname@example.org [2015-2017]
- Charles Warnken, University of Oklahoma, email@example.com [2013-2017]
- Michael Boswell, California Polytechnic University, San Luis Obispo, firstname.lastname@example.org [2013-2015]
- Lynn Mandarano, Temple University, email@example.com [2013-2015]
- Rachel Kleit, Ohio State University, firstname.lastname@example.org [2013-2015]
- To review and recommend changes, updates or amendments to the Association's Articles of Incorporation, Bylaws, and rules and procedures that govern the major activities of ACSP
- To evaluate the formal governance structure of ACSP
- To identify and suggest alternative approaches, methods, and strategies to improve governance an administrative efficiency, diversity and fairness
- Address other specific problems as they arise.
ACSP Special Committees
Committee on the Academy
The ACSP Committee on the Academy has two major charges: the first is associated with the Administrator’s Conference and the second relates to planning programs threatened with closure. The Committee oversees the Administrator’s Conference and is responsible for: 1) identifying potential sites for the conference along with ACSP staff, as appropriate; 2) recommending a site to the ACSP Governing Board or Executive Committee; 3) planning programming for the conference, involving U. S. planning administrators and possibly PAB as appropriate; 4) serving as liaison with appropriate ACSP committees (Executive, Diversity) with respect to conference content, specifically with respect to the new chairs school, diversity programming, and potentially training for faculty or doctoral students; and 5) overseeing post-conference evaluation and results summary.
In addition to facilitating the biennial Administrator's Conference, this Committee responds to threatened departments, either through direct requests by threatened programs or through requests from ACSP leadership. In such circumstances, the Committee contacts current faculty, members of the administration, alumni, and other stakeholders to assess the threat and the alternative responses possible. It writes a situation report regarding the program and forwards this to the Executive Committee for a decision regarding the alternative responses. Should an active response be deemed warranted, the Committee will, in conjunction with the program leadership, coordinate the necessary outreach and documentation.
- Chair: Niraj Verma, Virginia Commonwealth University, email@example.com [2015-2017]
- Maria Manta Conroy, Ohio State University, firstname.lastname@example.org [2013-2017]
- Greg Lindsey, University of Minnesota, email@example.com [2011-2017]
- Ed Feser, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, firstname.lastname@example.org [2015-2017]
- Stacey White, University of Kansas, email@example.com [2015-2017]
- Deborah Howe, Temple University, firstname.lastname@example.org [2013-2015]
- Forster Ndubisi, Texas A&M University, email@example.com [2013-2015]
This committee offers occasional workshops for existing planning doctoral students, and offers other support as needed. As a matter of recent practice, a workshop for students preparing for dissertation research has been offered in the summer, and at least one one-day workshop has taken place before the annual fall ACSP conference.
Faculty Mentoring Committee
Through events at the annual ACSP conference, as well as other venues, the Faculty Mentoring Committee's purpose is to help faculty, as well as planning schools, reflect and learn about better ways to prepare and mentor planning faculty at both the junior and senior levels. It is also intended to help doctoral students and faculty to envision, begin, and advance their careers of scholarship, teaching, and service. Special attention will be paid, of course, to enabling doctoral students and faculty to understand, manage, and cope with the tenure and promotion process.
- Chair, Ajay Garde, University of California, Irvine, firstname.lastname@example.org [2011-2017]
- Evelyn Blumenberg, University of Calirofnia, Los Angeles, email@example.com [2011-2017]
- Maria Manta Conroy, Ohio State University [firstname.lastname@example.org [2011-2017]
- Margaret Dewar, University of Michigan, email@example.com [2011-2017]
- Kirk McClure, University of Kansas, firstname.lastname@example.org [2011-2017]
Committee on Diversity
The purpose of the Committee on Diversity is to carry on the work of the Diversity Task Force by working with and encouraging planning schools to develop specific programs and incentives for increasing faculty and student diversity as well as expanding diversity in the curriculum.
- Outgoing Chair, Siddhartha Sen, Morgan State University email@example.com [2013-2015]
- Incoming Chair Hazel Edwards, The Catholic University of America, firstname.lastname@example.org [2013-2017]
- Ann Forsyth, Harvard University, email@example.com [2013-2017]
- Marisa Zapata, Portland State University, firstname.lastname@example.org [2013-2015]
- Jeffrey Lowe, Texas Southern University, email@example.com [2013-2017]
- Gerardo Sandoval, University of Oregon, firstname.lastname@example.org [2013-2017]
- Arnab Chakraborty, University of Illinois Urbana-Champagne, email@example.com [2015-2017]
- Cecilia Giusti, Texas A&M University, firstname.lastname@example.org, [2015-2017]
- to continue to assist programs in efforts to enhance faculty and student diversity;
- to assist programs in including diversity-related issues in curricular offerings;
- to provide reports back to the Governing Board in the fall of even- numbered years on the composition of faculty and students related to issues of diversity (using PAB and other data collected by outside entities); and
- to conduct other activities that could enhance ACSP's commitment to diversity in education and research.
Products of the Committee
ACSP Task Forces
ACSP Advisory Committee for the Planetizen Guide
The ACSP Advisory Committee for the Planetizen Guide advises the editors of Planetizen on the preparation, data collection and data analysis during their Guide's production process. ACSP is in no way responsible for the ranking of planning schools shown in the Planetizen Guide.
- Chair, Mickey Lauria, Clemson University, email@example.com
- Bruce Stiftel, Georgia Institute of Technology, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kristin Larsen, University of Florida, email@example.com
- Julian Agyeman, Tufts University, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jaap Vos, Boise State University, email@example.com
- Kazuya Kawamura, University of Illinois at Chicago, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Chris Steins, Planetizen, email@example.com
Guide & Web Planning Task Force
This task force considers critical needs concerning update and enhancement of the ACSP web site.
- Chair: Lois Takahashi, University of California, Los Angeles, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Weiping Wu, Tufts University, email@example.com
- Clint Andrews, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Vincent Reina, University of Southern California, email@example.com
- Monica Groh, American Planning Association, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ex Officio: Donna Dodd, ACSP Staff, email@example.com